Friday 15 July 2011

I'm backing the World Cup Bid


East Lancs Rd, Golborne
Today, I was pleased to assist in raising awareness of Wigan's bid to be a host town for the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.

I joined Deputy Leader of Wigan Council, Cllr David Molyneux and Wigan Rugby League legend Kris Radlinski as new signs were erected at the entrances to the Borough, backing the World Cup bid.

Earlier this year, I intervened when the North West Development Agency (NWDA) were set to renege on contracts entered into with the Rugby Football League, casting doubt on the tournament's viability.

Alongside the All Party Group on Rugby League, we were successful in persuading the NWDA to honour its commitment.

For me, it is inconceivable, that Wigan should not play a significant role in the World Cup, but I know that all involved in the bid are not taking anything for granted and are working hard to ensure that international Rugby League will grace both the DW Stadium and Leigh Sports Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment