World Mental Health Day I am echoing the call of Citizens Advice staff and volunteers and urging people to seek advice for their debt, benefits and employment problems.
New national research from Citizens Advice finds:
• 2 in 3 Citizens Advice clients feel stressed, depressed or anxious as a result of the problem they came to the charity for help about
• Almost three in four people (73 per cent) seeking debt help from Citizens Advice said their money worries were making them feel stressed, depressed or anxious
• After debt problems benefits are the issue second most likely to damage people’s mental health (67 per cent)
• Employment problems are third most likely to cause people distress (65 per cent).
• After getting advice, 4 in 5 people said they felt their mental wellbeing improved as a result of the help they received from Citizens Advice.
The purpose of today is to give voice to the millions of people across the UK who will experience mental illness this year and to speak out against the stigma that tries to silence them.